BMT Designers & Planners is seeking a Naval Architect
BMT Designers & Planners is a full-service technical and management consultancy with 60 years’ experience in providing services to federal, state and local governments, and domestic and international commercial marine, environment and safety companies’ clients. Our six lines of business include, Ship Design and Engineering Support, Advanced Technology, Reliability Centered Maintenance, System Safety and Logistics Support, Human Factors Engineering, Environmental and Energy Policy Formulation and Support, Applied Environmental Services, and Acquisition Program Management Support.
BMT Designers & Planners is seeking a Naval Architect to provide detailed ship design and engineering support to commercial and government clients. Naval Architect will create commercial new vessel (ferry, tug, barge) detail designs, act as technical lead for vessel new build and design modification projects, review and validate vessel designs comply with statutory & class regulations, work directly with owner and shipyard representatives to coordinate schedules and manage expectations. Projects require detail knowledge of commercial and US Navy, Coast Guard statutory & class regulations, and AutoCAD experience to review and update ship drawings. Candidates must be resourceful, detail oriented and self-motivated with strong listening and verbal communication skills and comfortable working with multidisciplinary teams. Professional integrity and attention to quality including checking own designs and calculations to ensure final products comply with client requirements. Naval Architect must be interested in developing engineering, project management and logistics capabilities as well as professional consulting skills.
Work Location: Alexandria, VA
Candidates must be US citizen with a clearance or ability to obtain a clearance. Background may be check required.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience creating detail vessel production designs, technical lead for commercial and government ship modification projects including but not limited to hull form development, dry docking and stability investigations, weight and moment calculations, and stability tests and deadweight surveys required
- Minimum 3 years' experience analysing and translating total ship design requirements into a consistent ship design required
- Minimum 3 years' experience applying CG, USN or commercial ship design standards and lifecycle processes required
- Minimum 3 years’ experience reviewing, modifying and updating ship drawings using AutoCAD required
- Experience with finite element analysis and software packages such as MAESTRO, NASTRAN, or FEMAP required
- Experience working with owner and shipyard representatives and contributing to multidisciplinary teams in a fast-paced environment required
- Experience with the design of shipboard fluid systems, propulsion, machinery arrangement, auxiliary systems, control and monitoring and/or HVAC systems helpful
- Experience with ASSET, FASTSHIP, Surface Works Marine, GHS, SHCP, SMP software is highly desirable
- Shipboard operating experience a plus
Education & Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering or related field required
- Professional Engineering License preferred
- Advance AutoCAD skills required
- Physically able to conduct shipboard investigations including speaking and walking without assistance, climbing ladders, lifting (up to 25 pounds) and manoeuvring in confined spaces is required
- Advanced MS Word, Excel and Power Point skills required to perform tasks and write technical reports is required
- Proactive and confident self starter with strong technical writing and oral communication and presentation skills required
- Ability to learn new skills and apply them directly to current work is required
- Demonstrated ability to organize, manage time, quality review and deliver project results on time is required
- Proven ability and commitment to provide high calibre customer support to include anticipating and understanding needs, managing expectations and communicating results and/or challenges is required
- Interested in learning and developing engineering, project management and logistics capabilities is required
BMT Designers & Planners enjoys a diverse professional staff and offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. Applicants must email resume, BMT Employment Application and Surveys with subject line "ENG 37" to HR@dandp.com or fax to 703-920-7091. Find application and surveys below. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce. BMT Designers & Planners is an Equal Opportunity Employer & Affirmative Action Employer of M/F/Veterans/Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
Who to contact / How to apply:
To apply please send a copy of your CV to HR@dandp.com
If you would like to have an informal discussion about this role prior to applying
Patricia Ghannam on +1-703-920-7070