Marine Maintenance Mechanic
BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is seeking a Hull, Mechanical and Electric (HM&E) Marine Mechanic to provide boat maintenance, repair and alteration support on boat ranging from 18 to 65 feet.
BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is a full-service technical and management consultancy. Clients include the federal government, domestic and international marine, environmental and safety companies. Our technical and managerial competencies include: Ship Design and Engineering Services; Advanced Technology, Reliability Centered Maintenance, Systems Safety and Logistics Support; Environmental and Energy Policy Formulation and Support, Human Factors Engineering and Applied Environmental Services. Our professional staff provides high caliber designs and engineering support, state of the art modeling & simulation, advanced system dynamics analysis and technology and management support services exceeding customer expectations. BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is 100% owned by BMT Group. For further information on BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. please visit www.dandp.com.
BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is a BMT Group Company. BMT Group is an international design, science, engineering, risk and program management consultancy, serving clients principally in the defense, energy and transport sectors. For further information on BMT Group, please visit www.bmt.org.
BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is seeking a Hull, Mechanical and Electric (HM&E) Marine Mechanic to provide boat maintenance, repair and alteration support on boat ranging from 18 to 65 feet. Qualified candidates must have knowledge to include troubleshooting mechanical, electrical and hull maintenance, configuration or logistics problems on the following (but not limited to) systems: diesel engines, hydraulics, 12V & 24 V electrical distribution and control systems, other boat mechanical and electrical systems, and hull systems. In addition to technical expertise, excellent listening and communication skills and a commitment to providing high caliber customer support with minimal/no oversight is crucial. Responsibilities include:
- Conducting boat assessments for the purpose of identifying needed HM&E repairs and verifying configuration
- Evaluating engineering problems and provide solutions that represent a cost-benefit to the client
- Researching parts for maintenance/repair and overhaul of all HM&E boat equipment and recommend changes to maintenance practices to increase the reliability of the equipment
- Experience towing boats & a clean driving record
- Must provide own tools to perform routine and corrective maintenance on multiple platform types
- Welding certification a plus, but not required
- Familiarity with launching, recovering, towing and operating various types of watercraft a plus
Work Location: Portsmouth, VA
Candidates must be U.S. citizen. Clearance: None, but must be able to pass a background investigation at NACI level or higher. Company will not sponsor employment visa or relocation for this position.
- 5 years of HM&E boat repair and troubleshooting experience in CG, US Navy (USN) or commercial
- Experience working researching parts commercially; experience researching parts on US Government sites a plus
- Experience with troubleshooting boat electronics systems a plus
EDUCATION & SKILLS
- Graduate of commercial marine maintenance school or military equivalent highly desirable
- ABYC certification highly desirable
- Advanced MS Office skills highly desirable
- Strong listening, technical writing and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to independently investigate and resolve technical issues
- Proven ability to listen and work with multidisciplinary team to facilitate consensus
- Demonstrated proficiency in completing detail-oriented tasks on time
- Ability to work independently and with multidisciplinary team is important
- Strong organization, and communication skills and focused on completing detail-oriented tasks on time
- Proven ability and commitment to provide high caliber customer support to include anticipating and understanding needs, managing expectations and communicating results and/or challenges
- Dependable, confident, action oriented, self-starter with a sense of integrity and actively contributes to building and expanding consultancy services
BMT Designers & Planners enjoys a diverse professional staff and offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package. Applicants must email resume, BMT Employment Application and Surveys with subject line "RCM 79-2" to HR@dandp.com or fax to 703-920-7091. Find application and surveys below. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce. BMT Designers & Planners is an Equal Opportunity Employer & Affirmative Action Employer of M/F/Veterans/Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
Who to contact / How to apply:
To apply please send a copy of your CV to HR@dandp.com
If you would like to have an informal discussion about this role prior to applying
Patricia Ghannam on +1-703-920-7070